05 Mar We’re Hiring!
Seeking Part-Time Bike Mechanic / Cycling Educator
This position is an opportunity for an individual with some wrenching skills and a passion for cycling and active transportation. You will assess and refurbish donated bikes, sort and clean used parts, assist in our youth earn-a-bike and general Bike Kitchen education programs. You will receive Can-Bike training and certification and work with our teaching team delivering bike safety education across the region and supporting community bike rides on a seasonal basis.
Title: Bike Mechanic / Cycling Educator
Position: Part-Time, Seasonal, possible Full-Time in Summer
Target Start: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; start date immediate.
Wage: $15.00/hr starting
Hours: Minimum 8 hours per week, 12 hours maximum, weekday afternoons and some evenings and weekends. May become full time depending upon funding.
Mission: Bike Windsor Essex is a non-profit community cycling organization and resource centre dedicated to the promotion of cycling as an empowering, community-enriching, fun, environmentally sustainable, and active mode of transportation.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess and refurbish donated bikes and bike parts and components on multi-geared, hand-brake, hybrid bicycles.
- Work with co-mechanics and volunteers to formulate effective workflow and organization of bikes, tools and parts.
- Record work completed, keep supplies and bikes well organized, record parts and items that need replaced; submit summaries of work completed and inventory needed to Bike Kitchen supervisor.
- Follow safety rules and procedures as set forth in the Bike Kitchen Terms of Reference.
- Participate in Children’s Bike Safety Rodeos and Can-Bike training classes.
- Support community slow bicycle rides.
- Has some experience repairing bikes though we will train;
- Is a competent commuter cyclist, familiar with the Rules of the Road and excited to become Can-Bike certified;
- Is willing to ride 10 – 20 kilometres with participants during group rides;
- Has some experience working with youth and volunteers;
- Is reliable, works independently and is well organized;
- Is available for evening, weekend, and some holidays;
- Is empathetic, outgoing and adept at engaging with many different types of personalities in an inclusive environment.
*We especially encourage women and those experiencing barriers to employment to apply.
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate your general availability.